Czech EFL

Let the Czech check it out

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Prison pen pals

I've just stumbled across WriteAPrisoner.com and while browsing through a number of profiles it struck me that this is a vast pool of possibly highly motivated pen pals. Clearly, murderers and the like wouldn't make the best match for kids but adult learners who would like to find someone interesting to write to could give it a go.

Here's what Mumia Abu-Jamal, one of the more famous prisoners, has to say on prisons:
When one considers prayer, one thinks of those instances in life when divine intervention seems most needed: in times of oppression, burdens, and peril. As Sir Francis Bacon put it, "Troubles and adversities do more bow men's minds to religion."

If that is so, then prisons, places of the most profound repression, must be sites of profound religious experience, of contemplation, of transformation, of insight, and of prayer.
Why not add a bit of EFL learning then?

2 Comments:

  • At 1:26 AM, Blogger Andy said…

    I would agree that prisoner's wouldn't make up the best pen pals for children but I would also have to say for most people they wouldn't make the best pen pals. I've heard too many stories where the prisoner has actually either come out to hurt their pen pal or somehow trick their pen pal into doing things for them. Just my personal opinion, but as a teacher it wouldn't sit well with me if one of my students started conversing with a criminal.

     
  • At 2:49 AM, Blogger Sean said…

    I agree with Andy. I would never recommend to my student to become pen pals with a convict. There are so many other ways to get a penpal - penpal web sites, you could run a language exchange with a school in another country or something else.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home