Czech EFL

Let the Czech check it out

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Movies and interactive stories

I'm not trying to hide it, I steal a good deal from AJ. Anyway...

Dogme, I realized, is by its very nature very personal. To provide more comprehensible input in a not-so-much-personal and therefore less demanding and more creative way I've started using interactive stories and movies.

First, I came across Focal Skills Approach and its Movie Technique and I immediately took to it like a duck to water. It all makes a lot of sense to me and as I had wanted to use movies anyway it only bolstered my confidence that it's not a waste of time. Then AJ posted about interactive stories and I realized it fits well into my concept of context developing activities. I used it the first time today with this little "business joke" because jokes are naturally meant to be told and often contain an element of story and guess what, it worked very well.

I asked the student then to look at the verbs in Past Simple and try to retell the story next class but I may be pushing here a little too much...

1 Comments:

  • At 11:40 AM, Blogger AJ Hoge said…

    Jokes

    Awesome! What a great idea to use jokes as a springboard. Glad to hear it worked so well.

    Im also glad to hear you are enjoying the movie technique.

    Ill check out Dogme... sounds very interesting.

    Maybe you could record one of your interactive story sessions (a short one)... then put it on the web as a podcast????!!!!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home