Czech EFL

Let the Czech check it out

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Virtual classroom

Having been inspired by Allen's on-line course I'm thinking of setting up a blog that would bring all my individual students together and create a sort of virtual classroom with all the benefits of a social environment. Another purpose of such a blog would be to introduce the idea of blogging as I can't expect all the students to be familiar with the concept.

As for the content and features, I've got a few points so far:
  • learning tips & announcements with audio files attached (Talkr.com)
  • business news concerning their company and the market
  • links to useful self-study resources
I'm struggling now trying to figure out how I could incorporate the news/links from Google News or another news aggregator.

6 Comments:

  • At 1:52 AM, Blogger Sean said…

    I use moodle for my online environment. It allows you to have a glosser, message boards, private dialogues, quizzes, assignments and more. It is really very powerful. the only thing missing is blogs which are coming when 1.6 gets released around january.

     
  • At 2:54 PM, Blogger AJ Hoge said…

    Moodle

    Im doing a collaborative project with Aaron, a teacher in Kyoto, and we are using Moodle. I like it. I agree, you might want to look into it.

    I dont know much since Aaron did all the work with Moodle.

    Good luck.

    By the way, maybe we could try to get some of our students to connect and collaborate?

     
  • At 6:46 PM, Blogger Jiri said…

    AJ/Skald: Most definitely! I'm going to have only business people this year and if I manage to get them to use blogs the next step then is obvious - connect and collaborate! We could perhaps try to brainstorm some ideas.. My students should be, generally speaking, lower intermediate between 25 to 35.

    Moodle: For a large project I'd also consider brushing up on my PHP/MySQL so I could start experimenting with Moodle but it's probably a matter of a few months.

     
  • At 1:15 PM, Blogger AJ Hoge said…

    Collaboration

    Jiri, I may need to delay our collaboration a bit...

    The much expected has happened- Ive been fired/quit. Basically, they found my blog and were very upset by my ideas and lack of deference :) Oh well.

    Ill try to rustle up more students soon, after I get back from a much-needed vacation and figure out where Im going next!

     
  • At 2:15 PM, Blogger Jiri said…

    Well, you know best if it's good or bad news!

    I personally learned a thing or two from EFL Geek&Co and I think we're better off not using our names lest they should like to google them...

    Anyway, enjoy your vacation and good luck with your future undertakings. Keep in touch. I'm sure there's more in store for our, and our students', collaboration!

     
  • At 1:32 PM, Blogger Sean said…

    Thanks for the praise Czech tefler. AJ, I'm sure you'll get a better job soon - keep us posted.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home