Czech EFL

Let the Czech check it out

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Please help!

As some of you may know I've got some experience in IT. Now a friend of mine is looking for someone who would work for their company and overlook (oversee, of course) a project for a major client. I didn't turn them down immediately but asked for loads (I mean LOADS) of money and it seems now they're completely out of their mind or hard pushed for time or whatever but they're on the verge of saying yes.

What the hell am I supposed to do? I love teaching for all the damn reasons I've posted about when I set up this blog. Most people would dream of such a well-paid job in their thirties but could I really sell what I love for formal attire, stress, no time to finish the two semesters I've got to go at my university? I certainly didn't plan for teaching to be a one-off fill-in. I did think it to be my vocation. Shall I throw away all I love about teaching? Is it a challenge I should try to rise up to or is it a test of my character and integrity?

I haven't got a clue. I've got to consult lots of people and decide by the beginning of next week. What do you think? What would you do? What kind of questions do I need to ask myself before I make any decision?

Please, comment!

3 Comments:

  • At 4:34 PM, Blogger Dennis said…

    Just a few spontaneous comments.
    1. Is there a way you can put your M.A. on hold so that you can take the offered job, but go back to the M.A. in a year or two if the job doesn't work out?
    2. You make it an either/or decision. Can't it be - First I'll do this and later I'll do that.
    3. You'll be able to re-enter teaching at any point in time and non-teaching experience will be seen positively.
    BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT
    4. Can you do this other job, for a few years perhaps, and still be happy? There is no point having oodles of money if you hate your day-to-day life.
    5. What would I do? I'd probably take the job being quite clear in my mind that I'd switch back to teaching if found I hated it.

     
  • At 3:55 AM, Blogger Cleve Miller said…

    Yeah Dennis sums it up, and yeah I'd go for the IT position. It's always good to have a financial base to be able to be flexible later....just don't get stuck in the consumer thing or you'll never escape.

    I'm lucky because I get to do both the ESL and the IT!

     
  • At 9:40 AM, Blogger JangJones said…

    Whichever choice you take, make sure you put your heart and soul into it. (^_^*)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home